Position Title: Shift Supervisor
The shift supervisor is responsible for assisting the store manager in maintaining a positive environment, which provides fast, efficient, and friendly service ensuring a Total Quality Experience for both our customers and team members. Shift supervisors assist in training, customer service, product knowledge and education, encouraging safe work practices, and a demonstrated commitment to our Guiding Principles and House Rules. This position directly supervises the barista and lead barista positions and acts as the manager on duty in the absence of the store and/or assistant manager.
- Maintains a clean, organized and stocked environment and when necessary assists in the distribution of product shipments.
- Performs all POS duties, front and back of house functions including opening and closing procedures, coordinating with the Corporate Office as necessary.
- Establishes effective and positive communication amongst all team members.
- Assists store manager in maintaining proper coverage and team member schedules ensuring that the store maintains customer service standards and team members adhere to meal and break policy.
- Ensures all cash handling procedures are upheld. Is accountable for store funds while running a shift.
- Assists store manger and assistant manager in planning and executing all sales promotions effectively and efficiently.
- Will provide guidance and actively set an example for team members, ensuring that all Standard Operating Procedures are maintained and followed.
- Follows and directs team members to follow store policies, procedures and adhere to merchandising and cleanliness standards.
- Promotes and practices safe work habits, reporting potential safety hazards, operational inconsistencies and team member incidents to the store manager. Reports/documents team member accidents, conducts initial investigation and determinations of root cause in the interest of maintaining a safe work environment.
- Is the Role Model for outstanding service and “owner” of the service initiative at his/her store during his/her shift.
- Pro-active in solving customer problems and satisfying customers in various situations.
- Ensures that all Team Members follow the Standard Operating Procedures lead by greeting and responding to all customers with fast, efficient, friendly and personalized service. Strives to develop a rapport with customers by learning their names, favorite drinks and food items.
- Responds proactively to prevent customer service situations. Investigates and resolves customer incidents, documenting if necessary.
- Consistently monitors, coaches and encourages team members to meet the Company’s service standards.
- Follows all Company drink recipes and procedures, maintaining the highest quality and consistent product standards.
- Ensures that all team members are educated on our products and services, by developing an understanding of our various types of coffee, tea products, blends and roasts, as well as knowledge of coffee and tea regions, and the various differences in flavor and blends.
- Tastes products on a per shift basis for quality assurance.
Training & Development:
- Demonstrates the ability to lead, communicate and champion The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Guiding Principles, House Rules and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provides coaching and training to baristas and lead baristas on performance expectations.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent. Minimum one year of retail or six months of specialty coffee experience. Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Must be able to work overtime, including weekends, evenings and special events as needed.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
- This position will require frequent standing and use of hands and arms.
- Must be able to lift up to 30lbs and frequently bend and twist from the waist.
- Frequently required to use hand and finger motions, handle or feel objects, reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to adjust vision to both day and night lighting, and be able to focus on distant and close-range projects. Regularly required to handle food, hot beverages, and work with sharp objects.
- Must have excellent verbal and written English communication skills.